Thursday, May 8, 2014

Tiderunner - 30" Weakfish

I returned to Jamaica Bay again on Wednesday morning in pursuit of stripers and weakfish. 

I caught a striper on my first cast, and thought that it was going to be a lights out day on the bass . . . . but it turned out to be a  little slow. 

Early in the trip, I caught a fat 30" weakfish on a 7" Hogy. It was caught near the kayak. My retrieve was bouncing the bottom after three twitches. 

It was my second tiderunner in less than a week. Bother were caught on a 7" Hogy. The Hogy line of plastics has become my go-to presentation for spring weakfish. 

Both of the big weakfish I have caught this year were in areas where I haven't encountered spring-run weakfish since the last cycle, which ended about 5 years ago. 

This fish was certainly a spawner with gnarly and tattered fins. The weakfish swam away strong upon release and I even got a video of it. 
Wind was a big issue and it was also a bright day. While fishing shallow water, this made for a tough morning striper bite. Originally, the forecast was no wind. But, it was blowing into my face on the way out and the coming back. The only slack period was during the time I reached the prime fishing grounds, which was the worst time for it to stop. Coming back took me much longer than expected with a sturdy wind in my face. 

Here are a few pictures of the tiderunner weakfish:








No comments:

Post a Comment