Tuesday, May 6, 2014

28" Weakfish - Jamaica Bay - May 2,2014

I fished Jamaica Bay last Saturday with Hogy Pro Eric Harrison in pursuit of striped bass and weakfish. 

It was a flat calm day and we had a good incoming tide coming a few days off a lunar period.

Between the two of us, we totaled almost 40 stripers but the highlight of the day was a 28" weakfish that I caught on a 7" Hogy. I caught stripers on the 4", 7", and 10" Hogys.

I've been fishing plastics for stripers more and more over the last two years and Hogy has now become my go-to lure for striper fishing. I especially like the Hogys for targeting shallower areas in the 8' - 20' range, but I've also been having great success fishing them over deep water as well during the winter. With a good drift, you can cover more water with these jigs than any other presentation, including a Tube & Worm. Additionally, it covers more of the water column than any other presentation for stripers. More importantly, you can control where this is presented more than any other lure I fish. The precision that it brings makes success much easier to achieve in the striper game. In my mind, plastics on a jig head are the best horizontal presentation for stripers from the kayak bar none and I believe Hogy produces the best striper plastics. They are so diverse that you can fish them in almost any situation. The Hogys have also become my go-to lure for weakfish in the spring as well. For weaks, the only problem I have is getting them down into the deeper channels in the summer. For this reason, jigging spoons become my go-to for summer run weaks.

In any event, here is a picture of the weakfish and another of Eric Harrison landing a striper. As always, Eric caught the lions share of stripers, but learning from watching an expert weave his craft is worth far more than high hook.





No comments:

Post a Comment