Tuesday, May 6, 2014

April 25, 2014 - Round Valley Reservoir Lake Trout

I made one final trip to Round Valley Reservoir before transitioning to salt for a little while and fishing the spring striper run on Long Island. Again, I targeted lake trout and it was a slow bite over an early four hour morning. My usual spot did not produce, so I explored some other deep water and found only one 21" lake trout. I also caught a very nice 17" rainbow that skied out of the water next to the kayak. 

Both trout were caught about 70' down over approximately 90'. I marked most of the trout at 70' as well.

I definitely enjoyed the early season lake trout and salmon fishing this year and it was a big learning experience about spring turnover. At the beginning of the season, the colder and less dense water is located near the top of the water column so the comfort zone for most fish is far below the surface over deep water. I only found lake trout in 70' water this spring. Leadcore was a must and I needed seven colors trolled at 1.5 mph most of the time.

For me, Round Valley is about the closest trout fishing to my home at a 90 minute drive. It is well worth the trip.

Here are some pictures from April 25:








No comments:

Post a Comment