Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lake Ronkonkoma - March 26, 2013 - Walleyes

The walleye fishing improved a little on Lake Ronkonkoma. 

Two weeks ago, I hit the lake with a few fellow kayakers and was skunked. Out of five anglers, only two walleyes were caught and no other fish. That day, the water temp was around 40 - 42 degrees.

Well, the water temperature three weeks later is around 43 degrees, which dropped steadily as the night progressed and the hours passed. By the end of the night, the water temperature was around 40 degrees. 



The marginal increase in water temperature sums up the month of March perfectly. It has been brutally cold, with low pressure systems being par for the course every single week - cold weather and high winds with most nights bottoming out in the high 20s. This has made for a sluggish start for the beginning of the season. March has been a disappointment, especially compared to the excellent fishing last year at the same time in both freshwater and saltwater. As much as everything was at least three weeks ahead last year, the fishing is about three weeks behind this year.

I met up with Gene and Rick. We launched at 6:30 pm to 50 degree air temps, with a little wind out of the northwest.

First walleye of the year measuring 17". 
After about an hour, I caught my first walleye of 2013. It gave me a solid fight and measured 17". I caught the fish as the last rays of the sun went under the horizon at dusk. As the sun set, the wind completely ceased and the water became flat. Coming off the full moon, the lake acted as a mirror for the moon and stars and it was a really beautiful night, even though it was cold. Including my dry top, I was wearing 5 layers. It was 38 degrees by the end of the night.

After catching the first marble-eye, I worked the same area for another hour and didn't even get a hit. So, I started to troll back to the launch at around 9 pm. Rick was a little in front of me, and Gene had left to explore the other end of the lake.

14" walleye. 
At 9:15 pm, I caught my second walleye trolling back to the launch on my second rod. It measured 14". I had dropped a fish right before I caught that walleye on the same rod.

That was it. I totaled two walleyes over three hours. Both were caught trolling crankbaits. The first was caught trolling really slow at a little over 1 mph. The second was much faster since I was trying to get back, but still no faster than 2.0 mph. Both walleyes were safely released as quickly as possible.

The fish were shallow tonight and I caught both between 5' and 6'.

It was good fishing with Gene and Rick. I wish the fishing was better, but it will improve each week hereafter.


First walleye of the season with late winer type sunset in the background. 

An early spring night on Lake Ronkonkoma. Gene is to the left and Rick to the right. Although they seem far off, they were really only about 50 yards ahead. 

1 comment: