Monday, April 14, 2014

Trophy Tautog 2013

Tog fishing was again very consistent for the fall season in 2013. Unlike some other years, there was a lack of big tog early on, and I only saw one really big tog before the big cold came at the beginning of November. This tog measured 22" and was caught on the first weekend of the season. As usual, Stonington, CT was really productive in two trips, and an easy limit of keepers from 18" - 20" was a given in a three hour trip. It was worth the two hour drive. 

But, the area around the Western Sound still produced the biggest tog for me in 2013. Based on fishing for tog for the last 6 years, you won't get me off of Long Island for the last weekend in October or the first weekend in November. Generally, it is during these two weekends that I catch my largest tog on an annual basis. It usually coincides as a prequel to a big cold front that moves them deep. 

This year was no different and during the first weekend of November, my eight largest tog were powerful bulldogs that measured 24", 23, 22", 21", 21", 21", 21" and 20". I totaled 16 NYS keepers for that weekend. All fish were released. Tog grow and inch per year and come back to the same spots year after year. 

The best fishing occurred between November 2 and November 4. It was the last hurrah for the tog season for the LI Sound kayak angler. During that last weekend, a low pressure system coupled with a lunar period made for some excellent bulldog tog fishing. The day before the front, the fishing was fantastic. The day of the front, the temps dropped substantially, pushing the water temp at or below the critical 55 degree mark. I fished three times during this period, and here are the results: 

My first trip was the day before the new moon. The water temp was about 57 degrees. I caught over 20 tog - 11 keepers (16" or greater in NYS), and 5 bulldogs over 20" - 24", 22", 21", 21", 20". Best day of for big tog of the year for me. I fished for about 5 hours. 

The new moon occurred on the second day. The water temp dropped to 55 degrees, or slightly below. There was a big drop in air temp as well. I totaled 4 tog - all keepers and two bulldogs at 23" and 21". The other two were 18" and 18.5". There was a definite decline in bite, and it got worse as the day went on. Fished for a little less than 3 hours. 

On the day after the new moon, I fished in the afternoon for about two hours. It was very slow and I only one hit that turned out to be a 21" tog and that was the only action of the day. Water temp about 52 degrees. Despite 60 degree air temps, the cold nights pushed the water temps a few degrees under 55 degrees, which usually shuts the bite off as the fish move to deeper water.  During this run, I also had a tog that broke my 50 lb braid. I was kicking off structure to get us both out so I could fight the big tog in open water, and between the thrust of pushing off, and the tog's frantic dash towards structure, my line broke. Of course, there could have been a nick in my line, but it was very new so I doubt it. This shows the raw power possessed by a bulldog tautog. 

All fish were caught on jigs with asian crabs. The end of the season made it a really good year for quality fish, and went out like a lion, but typically shut down really fast. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment