Sunday, April 13, 2014

Kayak Fishing Merrill Creek Reservoir - Lake Trout

I finally made it out to Merrill Creek Reservoir near Washington, NJ for a morning targeting lake trout. This was my first trip to Merrill Creek. It is one of two reservoirs in New Jersey with a self-sustaining population of lake trout. It is more kayak friendly than Round Valley Reservoir since it is much smaller and does not allow gas powered boats.

It is a different fishery than Round Valley as well, and I marked more congregated schools of lake trout. I also marked many more bait pods in Merrill Creek. But, all of these fish were marked in very deep water. Since the lakers were holding primarily in the deepest part of the lake, it seems to me that the fish are still in a winter pattern. A water remp of 40 degrees may supports this theory.

I marked most of the fish in at least 150' with most fish cruising between 90' - 115'. I tried jigging some of the more congregated schools without success.  

In any event, I trolled up one 22" lake trout seven cores down over 150' FOW. I also had another hit in the same area. Otherwise, only one other strike fishing the deep water adjacent to an extensive shallow 40' shoal. This hit was in 90'. 

The areas in the 50' - 80' water was completely devoid of lake trout. I believe I marked some smallmouths over some of the shallower 40' shoals.

I will definitely return in the future. Once the water temp reaches the high 40s, I hope that they spread out over shallower water.




1 comment: