Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Summer Bottom Fishing - Long Island Sound - Scup and Black Sea Bass

For most of August, I dedicated one evening after work to targeting scup on some rockpiles near points on the western Long Island Sound. Usually, I would fish from about 7 pm until dark. Tactically, I was diamond jigging with 1 ounce jigs tipped with sandworm or Gulp. The scup liked a horizontal retrieve and held in tight schools over certain structure, so a GPS was useful for working schools and eliminating dead areas. Vertical jigging wasn't as productive, but also worked on nights where the scup were aggressive. Over three weeks, I caught several scup in the 18" range. 

I also jigged up some keeper sea bass as well to about 17", which was a really nice bonus. This is the first time I saw nice sea bass so far inshore and I hope it was the start of a trend. 












1 comment:

  1. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.
    Bahamas Party Boats

    ReplyDelete