Monday, July 1, 2013

Round Valley Reservoir Mackinaw - June 20, 2013


Unfortunately, my best picture of the two fish has a finger in the background! 





I took a morning off in hopes of catching lake trout at Round Valley Reservoir in NJ.

I wasn't disappointed. I fished from 7 am to 11 am and totaled 2 lake trout and one large brown trout.

It was a warm day and a slow pick of fish. The surface temp was 67 degrees and the mackinaw were deep.

While trolling down 7 colors of lead, I had a hard hit and felt like I was stuck. Soon, a fish started to pull hard and I knew I was fighting a good fish. Suddenly, the fish goes vertical, my line goes slack, and I see a big brown trout jumping out of the water. It appeared very large and made a few separate leaps like a smallmouth. As I got the brown near the kayak, my reel locked and a dogged battle ensued. I got the fish boat-side and quickly netted the fish. It measured out at 25" and was tagged.

I covered a good deal of water, but found a point of land where I had quite a few hits. I worked this area for a long time trolling at about 1.5 mph. In this area, I picked away at two lakers for the rest of morning. One was 21" and the other 23".

The mackinaw is a dogged fighter and I engaged with a lengthy tug-of-war with the larger fish. Near the end of the fight, it was pulling so hard that my reel briefly locked again, but I horsed the fish near the kayak once my swivel got caught in my reel and was able to net it.

The surface temp was approximately 68 degrees. Trolling was the order of the day and Mooselook Wobblers produced all fish today. Dodgers and flashers were not necessary and the bare spoon worked best trolled with 6 lb fluorocarbon. I jigged unsuccessfully for an hour.

On the chart, the thermocline was packed with trout. However, none of the fish seemed to be feeding. I also marked sporadic fish under the thermocline, and this was the area that I found actively feeding fish.  I estimate that I was trolling at around 40' in mostly 45' - 55'. Browns usually hold around the thermocline, but this fish was in the colder water near the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment