Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pepacton Reservoir - Brown Trout - May 29, 2014

I fished Pepacton Reservoir in Downville, NY for a day last week. 

I was told by Al's Sporting Goods that the fishing hasn't been consistent this year and somewhat mediocre. 

He was correct, and it was a tough bite on Pepacton. The fish were scattered, and I only had periodic marks. Most of the marks were down about 20', with some at 10', and a minority as deep as 28'. I only marked a couple of pods of alewives as well. 

Water temp was approximately 59 degrees and it was a very calm day. Al had said the best bite was during the solunar peak which occurred that day between 12:30 pm and 3 pm. He was correct again, and my only action of the day was during this time. 

I caught my first trout on leadcore. I hooked into the trout trolling leadcore at 21' over 130' of water. It was caught on a Sutton. After a spirited fight, I landed a nice brown that measured 22". 

Later, the drag on my lightweight spinning rod began to scream and I looked behind to find it doubled over. I grabbed it, and preceded to battle a big trout. After several runs I battled the fish next to the boat but noticed that he wasn't hooked well. I luckily subdued him with a net and successfully landed a very fat brown trout that measured 24". It was caught trolling a Tazmanian Devil. 

I took a couple of pictures and quickly released this brown to submit for a NYS Catch and Release Angler Achievement Award. 

I also caught a 19" smallmouth bass. This smallmouth also qualifies for an NYS Angler Achievement Award. 

After this I did some exploring and a long period of inactivity ensued. I subsequently only caught one more small trout the remainder of the afternoon. 

In any event, here are the pictures of the brown trout:












No comments:

Post a Comment